Asheville, North Carolina’s police chief will not step down after saying in March she would resign to reduce the distrust that the city’s Black community has for her department.
Police Chief Tammy Hooper, who’s at the center of an alleged attempt to cover up a brutal police beating of a Black man, backpedaled in an interview on Friday with WUNC radio. Handing in her resignation would accomplish nothing because the police trust issues are bigger than her, Hooper stated.
Follow The Beat On Twitter: Follow @979thebeat
“The community relations, the history we have in Asheville, regarding the relationship and the trust issues we have, not just between police and our African-American community, but really the whole government and our African-American community,” she said. “And those things go back 50 years. So, the pain and the outrage, the things that you hear are really long-standing issues in this community.”
Johnnie Jermaine Rush, 33, was punched in the head, restrained, held to the ground and shocked twice with a stun gun for jaywalking in August, the Asheville Citizen Times reported. Former Officer Chris Hickman, who is White, now faces charges of felony assault.
Sign Up For Our Newsletter!
Residents and members of the City Council learned about the assault six months after the beating—only after body camera footage was leaked to the Citizen Times. Hooper sat on the video for months without launching a criminal investigation. Naturally, release of the video ignited outrage and only deepened the distrust of the police department. Black folks shared stories about instances of police brutality and vented their anger at the March 7 public hearing.
Hooper told angry residents that she would resign “if that will solve the problem,” adding “If you want me to resign, it is as simple as that,” the newspaper reported.
She’s now given the Black community more reason not to trust her word.
- Kruz Newz: The Cleveland Browns Have Won Their First Game since 2016!
- KRUZ NEWZ: Forbes Says Dallas Cowboys Are #1 for 12th Year in a Row!
- Security Struggle: Yasiel Puig’s Home Burglarized 4th Time, Video Of Suspect Released
- ‘Marvel’s Spider-Man’ Swings Past ‘God of War’, Now PS4’s Fastest-Selling Video Game
- Nick Cannon Welcomes Kanye West Back From The Sunken Place
- Gucci Mane Just Put His Jewelry On A Jet
- Kanye is “Back Back” From The Sunken Place
- Uncle Murda & Dave East “Hold Up,” 6lack ft. Future “East Atlanta Love Letter” & More | Daily Visuals 9.20.18
- Oh No! Steve Harvey’s Lost Long-Running Talk Show Just Got Cancelled
- French Montana Feat Drake “No Stylist” [New Music]