The death toll on Monday rose to 350 in the aftermath of an earthquake that struck Ecuador over the weekend, according to The New York Times.
Residents and rescue workers continued to sift through the rubble in an effort to find survivors after “the magnitude 7.8 earthquake, the strongest to strike Ecuador in decades,” toppled buildings, decimated highways and left scores homeless, reports the news outlet.
Via The Times:
Portoviejo, a city of nearly 300,000, was among the hardest-hit areas, with officials reporting more than 100 deaths and at least 370 buildings destroyed. Survivors described how the earthquake, from one moment to the next, transformed a normal, placid Saturday night.
President Rafael Correa’s administration reported that rescue crews were flying in from around Latin America and from Europe. Hundreds of foreign aid workers were already in the disaster zone by Monday morning, with the largest contingents so far including 120 from Mexico, 80 from Spain and 49 from Chile, officials said.
The Spanish Red Cross, which is helping its counterpart in Ecuador, estimated that 3,000 to 5,000 people were left homeless by the earthquake and would need temporary shelter, the group said in a statement.
An estimated 4,600 members of the National Police and 10,400 members of the armed forces were mobilized as part of the emergency response, the report says.
Check back for updates to this developing story.
SOURCE: The New York Times | PHOTO CREDIT: Getty