A retired Detroit firefighter was charged with a felony after his home security system caught him lying about what happened when a Black teen knocked on his front door to ask for directions.
Authorities arraigned Jeffrey Zeigler, 53, Friday on charges of assault with intent to murder and possession of a firearm in the commission of a felony, USA Today reported.
Follow The Beat On Twitter: Follow @979thebeat
Oakland County sheriff’s deputies responded Thursday morning to a report of a Black male attempting to break into a Rochester Hills house. When the deputies arrived, they found 14-year-old Brennan Walker down the street, fortunately unharmed.
The high school freshman missed his bus and got lost trying to figure out his way to school—a 4-mile journey. He knocked on Zeigler’s door to ask for directions. Zeigler’s wife yelled at Walker when she answered the door and then went to get her husband.
Sign Up For Our Newsletter!
Investigators determined that Zeigler showed up with a 12-gauge shotgun. He chased the teen into the yard and fired at him.
“The victim in this matter, a 14-year-old child, indicated what had happened to the police and his version did bear out on that video,” assistant prosecutor Kelly Collins said.
Race had everything to do with this incident, Brennan’s mother, Lisa Wright, stated.
“After watching the video and hearing the wife say ‘Why did these people choose my house?’ I knew it was racially motivated,” Wright said. “I don’t know what other ‘these people’ she could possibly have been talking about. He was by himself.”
The judge set bond at $50,000. She also ordered Zeigler to stay at least 10 miles away from the high school student. The former firefighter must wear a GPS to track his whereabouts and undergo alcohol testing. If convicted, he could be sentenced to life in prison.
- Faith Evans Arrested On Domestic Violence Charges After Allegedly Attacking Stevie J
- Atlanta Officers Tase Young Man And Drag Him Out Of His Car After Curfew [VIDEO]
- ‘Insecure’ Actor And Houstonian Kendrick Sampson Hit By Rubber Bullets In Los Angeles During George Floyd Protest
- Mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms Establishes A Curfew For The City Of Atlanta
- Which Murder Charge Is The Worst?
- Beyonce Demands More Charges To Officers Involved In George Floyd’s Death
- T.I Calls For National Shopping Blackout In Response to George Floyd’s Death
- Report: Derek Chauvin, Ex-Minneapolis Cop At Center Of George Floyd’s Death, Arrested
- 97.9 The Beat Digital Yearbook
- Gunna Goes No. 1 With ‘Wunna’, Talks Fashion, Relationship Status, and Roasts Billy Sorrells [EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW]
Never Forget: Honoring Trayvon Martin
1.Source:false 1 of 10
2. Rest In Power, Trayvon MartinSource:facebook 2 of 10
3. Rest In Power, Trayvon MartinSource:false 3 of 10
4. Rest In Power, Trayvon MartinSource:false 4 of 10
5. Rest In Power, Trayvon MartinSource:false 5 of 10
6. Rest In Power, Trayvon MartinSource:false 6 of 10
7. Rest In Power, Trayvon MartinSource:false 7 of 10
8. Rest In Power, Trayvon MartinSource:false 8 of 10
White Man Charged After Video Shows Him Shooting At Black Teen Who Asked For Directions was originally published on newsone.com