The incoming class at Harvard University is making history as more than half of the new students are people of color.
Follow The Beat On Twitter: Follow @979thebeat
For the first time in Harvard’s 380-year existence diversity has tipped the scales. According to the BBC, 50.9 percent of the Harvard freshman are non-White. That number is up from 47.3 percent last year
The BBC reports that of incoming students “Asian Americans make up 22.2%, followed by African Americans at 14.6%, Hispanic or Latino students at 11.6%, and Native American or Pacific Islanders at 2.5%.”
Sign Up For Our Newsletter!
Harvard rep, Rachel Dane, told reporters that the university is “committed to enrolling diverse classes of students” in order to better equip all of to succeed.
“To become leaders in our diverse society, students must have the ability to work with people from different backgrounds, life experiences, and perspectives,” Dane explained.
Speaking of leadership, Malia Obama will be following in her father’s footsteps as she enters the hallowed halls of Harvard. But she’s simply one of a number of Harvard freshman, and we’ll be watching to see how they all change the world.
10 Reasons Why We Are Thankful For President Barack Obama
1. We’ll never forget the moment President Obama said Trayvon Martin could have been his son.Source:Getty 1 of 9
2. And let’s not forget President Obama was the man behind capturing and killing Al-Qaeda leader Osama Bin Laden.Source:Getty 2 of 9
3. He also rejoiced when the Supreme Court ruled in favor of protecting same-sex marriage.Source:Getty 3 of 9
4. He always gets his hands a little dirty.Source:Getty 4 of 9
5. He genuinely, wholeheartedly, loves the kids.Source:Getty 5 of 9
6. Plus, he’s all about b-ball.Source:Getty 6 of 9
7. He made two of our favorite players the happiest men on Earth.Source:Getty 7 of 9
8. … And what a beautiful example for men on how to treat the ladies in your life.Source:Getty 8 of 9
9. There will never be another as suave as President Obama & for that alone, we’re thankful.Source:Getty 9 of 9
Change Is Here: Harvard’s Incoming Class Is Majority POC was originally published on hellobeautiful.com