Follow The Beat On Twitter: Follow @979thebeat
You’d think a Black barber might have a problem giving a White customer a haircut of the confederate flag. Well, an Oklahoma City barbershop didn’t seem to mind.
Demontre Heard of the Fade N Up barbershop shaped a customer’s hair up to look like the notorious southern symbol. At first Heard was apprehensive, but then he says he got more comfortable once he got to know the man. “I was thinking it was some racist-type stuff but, as he sat down and I was doing it and he was talking to me the whole time, and he explained to me why he was doing it, like, he was a really cool guy and I didn’t feel like he was racist at all,” Heard said.
Despite Heard’s sentiments, social media had mixed thoughts. A picture of the haircut posted on Facebook racked up tons of comments. Some folks were outraged, while others felt like business was business.
Sign Up For Our Newsletter!
The barber shop’s owner, Corey Sutter, said Fade N Up was an “open” place where the barbers were “past racism.”
“The thing that’s really bothering me is, no matter how it may look to someone and them getting upset about it, this is what we do for a living,” Sutter told KFOR-TV.
The Confederate flag gained popularity in the south after The Confederate States of America lost the Civil War. It continues to be a symbol of violent racism.
2017 Reminder of Celebrities We Will Always Remember That Have Passed Away
1. Fresh Kid IceSource:Getty 1 of 26
2. ProdigySource:Getty 2 of 26
3. Tupac ShakurSource:Getty 3 of 26
4. Shawty LoSource:Getty 4 of 26
5. AaliyahSource:Getty 5 of 26
6. Lisa 'Lefteye' LopezSource:Getty 6 of 26
7. Big PunSource:Getty 7 of 26
8. Tommy FordSource:Getty 8 of 26
9. Notorious B.I.G.Source:Getty 9 of 26
10. Charlie MurphySource:Getty 10 of 26
11. Whitney HoustonSource:Getty 11 of 26
12. PrinceSource:Getty 12 of 26
13. Bobbi KristinaSource:Getty 13 of 26
14. Lee Thompson YoungSource:Getty 14 of 26
15. Michael JacksonSource:Getty 15 of 26
16. Bob MarleySource:Getty 16 of 26
17. Jimi HendrixSource:Getty 17 of 26
18. Richard PryorSource:Getty 18 of 26
19. Muhammad AliSource:Getty 19 of 26
20. Kimbo SliceSource:BELLATOR MMA 20 of 26
21. Phife Dawg (of A Tribe Called request)Source:Phife Dawg Estate 21 of 26
22. Natalie ColeSource:Getty 22 of 26
23. Chris Kelly (of Kriss Kross)Source:Getty 23 of 26
24. Heavy DSource:Getty 24 of 26
25. Eazy-ESource:Getty 25 of 26
26. Old Dirty BastardSource:Getty 26 of 26