Fifteen years ago last week, the world lost Aaliyah, a bright and promising young hip-hop/R&B artist whose contributions to the genre really shook things up. When she busted onto the scene in the early 90s, she was instantly embraced by listeners and critics alike.
Sign Up For Our Newsletter!
In many ways, Aaliyah’s legacy carried on despite her young life ending too soon. Her first three albums have ever-influenced hip-hop’s direction, both on the male and female side. Click on the audio player to hear Headkrack explain more on this story in this exclusive clip of the Hip-Hop Spot.
Listen to “The Rickey Smiley Morning Show” live weekdays 6-10am EST.
17 Reasons Why Aaliyah Is One Of The Most Influential Women In Pop Culture
1. The Best Of Aaliyah1 of 17
2. “Age Ain’t Nothing But A Number” Redefines R&B2 of 17
3. Aaliyah…The Trendsetter3 of 17
4. The Swoop Bang4 of 17
5. Better Than The Boys5 of 17
6. A Match Made In Heaven6 of 17
7. Visions Of Grammy Gold7 of 17
8. Aaliyah Becomes A Triple Threat8 of 17
9. A New Image…9 of 17
10. Aaliyah Embraces Her Sexiness10 of 17
11. The New Aaliyah11 of 17
12. From Tomboy To Sex Symbol12 of 17
13. Her Last Video13 of 17
14. “Queen Of The Damned”14 of 17
15. Posthumous Success15 of 17
Why It’s Important For Young Hip-Hop Fans To Listen To Aaliyah [EXCLUSIVE AUDIO] was originally published on rickeysmileymorningshow.com