The Sony Hack is the gift that keeps on giving—for those who aren’t affiliated with Sony, that is.
Last week, Gawker examined a licensing agreement from 2011 between Sony Pictures and Marvel that revealed heavy stipulations for the characters of Spider-Man and Peter Parker.
The list of Spider-Man stipulations, per Vulture:
Mandatory Spider-Man Character Traits: Spider-Man (whether Peter Parker or an alternative Spider-Man character) must always strictly conform to the following “Mandatory Character Traits”:
• Does not torture*
• Does not kill unless in defense of self or others*
• Does not use foul language beyond PG-13
• Does not smoke tobacco*
• Does not sell/distribute illegal drugs*
• Does not abuse alcohol*
• Does not have sex before the age of 16, does not have sex with anyone under the age of 16
• Not a homosexual (unless Marvel has portrayed that alter ago as a homosexual)
There is also a separate list of Peter Parker stipulations:
Peter Parker Character Traits. Depictions of Peter Parker or his Spider-Man alter ego must conform to the following character traits:
• His full name is Peter Benjamin Parker.
• He is caucasian and a heterosexual.
• His parents become absent from his life during childhood.
• From the time his parents become absent he is raised by Aunt May and Uncle Ben in New York City.
• He gains his powers while attending either middle school or college.
• He gains his powers from being bitten by a spider.
• He designs his first red and blue costume.
• The black costume is a symbiote and not designed by him.
• He is raised in a midde class household in Queens, New York.
• He attends or attended high school in Queens, New York, and he attends or attended college in New York City, New York.
Gawker speculates the date of the contract despite having the character Miles Morales as Spider-Man in a Marvel Comic:
The timing here is a little odd, given that the contract went into effect in September of 2011, just one month after a black-latino character named Miles Morales donned the Spider-Man costume in a comic book. After years of internet campaigning, actor/rapper Donald Glover went on to do voice acting for a cartoon version of the Miles Morales Spider-Man, still leaving many fans disappointed that he wouldn’t portray the character in a true Hollywood version. Now we know it’s because Donald Glover as Peter Parker would’ve breached a racial contract.
In less offensive, more hopeful news, it has been confirmed that character Miles Morales will portray Spider-Man in a new series of Marvel Comics to be released this fall. The biracial character is a step forward in light of the comprehensive and concrete rules for film adaptations of Spider-Man.
“Our message has to be it’s not Spider-Man with an asterisk, it’s the real Spider-Man for kids of color, for adults of color and everybody else,” Brian Bendis, writer and co-creator, said to New York Daily News.
Sony Claims Spider-Man Must Be White & Heterosexual, Marvel Says ‘Eff That’ was originally published on globalgrind.com
Rest in Peace: Irish Grinstead of 90’s Group 702 Passes Away at Age 43
Ashanti Breaks The News About Nelly One Last Time
Latto Just Found Out 2 Chainz Was Her Cousin
[VIDEO] Kevin Hart Visits Houston Bar and Serves H-Town Crowd Drinks
Kodak Black Caught On Camera With His New Boo
Jeezy Files For Divorce From Jeannie Mai
Viral Vibes Caught On Camera With Some Louisiana Legends (Bling Bling)
What Is Going On With R&B Singer Michel’le!? [VIDEO]