Most of the 200-plus Baltimore protesters arrested during a period of unrest Monday are still in jail with no formal charges, BuzzFeed News reports.
According to law enforcement, 235 individuals were arrested Monday after police and protesters clashed in West Baltimore. Thirty-four of those arrested were juveniles.
The court system and State Attorney’s office were closed Tuesday due to the violence, leaving nearly all of the demonstrators in Baltimore’s Central Booking and Intake Facility, a spokesman for the facility told BuzzFeed News.
Katie D’Adamo, a lawyer with the Office of the Public Defender, told BuzzFeed News that the adults are being held in tiny cells and have not been able to shower. The juveniles are being held in a separate facility across the street, she said.
Rochelle Ritchie, Director of Communications for the State’s Attorney’s office, said only deputies, directors and the State’s Attorney worked through Monday night and on Tuesday. She said “some” got formally charged in court on Tuesday but didn’t specify how many. But D’Adamo said that none of the protesters got a court hearing until Wednesday morning, starting at the John R. Hargrove, Sr. courthouse about six miles from central booking.
The site notes that Maryland law requires court appearances for individuals arrested within 24 hours. That law may not stand as is this week, given the state of emergency declared in Maryland by Gov. Larry Hogan, D’Adamo told BuzzFeed.
D’Adamo said she is planning on filing a lawsuit on behalf of 50 people who still don’t know the charges against them. “We met with 50 or so who have been held since Monday, she said.
As of Wednesday morning, only 93 people have been charged.
For more information on the Freddie Gray protests and uprisings in Baltimore, visit NewsOne’s hub, here.
SOURCE: BuzzFeed | PHOTO CREDIT: Getty
Baltimore Is Burning: Stunning Photos That Show The Real Story
1. Baltimore Is BurningSource: 1 of 31
2. The Children Are InvolvedSource: 2 of 31
3. Baltimore Protestors Involve Their KidsSource: 3 of 31
4. The AGGRESSIVE PoliceSource: 4 of 31
5. Police Arrest ProtesterSource: 5 of 31
6. Baltimore Man Hurt During ProtestSource: 6 of 31
7. Woman Held Back By Man At ProtestSource: 7 of 31
8. Woman Demonstrating A Lie-InSource: 8 of 31
9. Balitmore Residents Flee During ProtestSource: 9 of 31
10. Police Officer Gets HurtSource: 10 of 31
11. Police Stand Off Against ProtestersSource: 11 of 31
12. An Intense Stand OffSource: 12 of 31
13. Balitmore Residents Band TogetherSource: 13 of 31
14. Intense ProtestersSource: 14 of 31
15. Hands UpSource: 15 of 31
16. Passionate Protesters Calling Out PoliceSource: 16 of 31
17. Balitmore PoliceSource: 17 of 31
18. Baltimore Police Dept. Vs. ResidentsSource: 18 of 31
19. A Child Joins The Baltimore ProtestsSource: 19 of 31
20. We Want A Revolution!Source: 20 of 31
21. Beautiful Little Girls ProtestingSource: 21 of 31
22. Hands Up!Source: 22 of 31
23. Black Balitmore Residents Stand TogetherSource: 23 of 31
24. Hands UpSource: 24 of 31
25. Passionate DemonstatorsSource: 25 of 31
26. A Fight Breaks OutSource: 26 of 31
27. No Justice No PeaceSource: 27 of 31
28. Riot Gear Police OfficersSource: 28 of 31
29. The Police Barricade The NeighborhoodSource: 29 of 31
30. A Stand OffSource: 30 of 31
31. Black Men Vs. The PoliceSource: 31 of 31
More Than 200 Baltimore Protesters Arrested Monday Are Still In Jail With No Formal Charges was originally published on newsone.com