CLOSE

 

ORANGE, Calif. (KABC) – A California woman is in intensive care after having an allergic reaction to medication that caused her body to “burn from the inside out.”

Yaasmeen Castanada, 19, suffered a life-threatening allergic reaction called Stevens-Johnson Syndrome.

“It can be considered a burn from the inside out because of mucosal involvement,” Dr. Lawrence Matt told KABC.

It all started when Castanada took a friend’s medication because she was feeling sick on Thanksgiving.

Less than 24 hours later, she was hospitalized and on a ventilator.

“Heartbreaking, just unreal. Just watching your daughter burn in front of you, literally burn in front of you,” said Laura Corona, Castanada’s mother.

Her family says this should serve as a warning to others to not share medication and to always be tested to find out your exact allergies.

Also On 97.9 The Beat:
49 Famous People From Dallas-Ft. Worth (PHOTOS)
BET's Social Awards 2018 - Show
49 photos
×