Emmett Till‘s relatives are seeking a new investigation after a new book reveals that the woman, who incited a White lynch mob to kill him after she felt threatened, made up the story, reports NBC News.
Historian Timothy Tyson reveals in his new book, The Blood of Emmett Till, that Carolyn Bryant Donham, now 82, confessed to a lie that provoked the lynch mob to kill then-14-year-old Till, notes the report.
Now, Till’s cousins, Wheeler Parker and Deborah Watts, “say that a re-investigation is needed to settle lingering questions. Among them: Whether an as-yet unidentified person, possibly a woman, was with Till’s killers the night he was abducted,” writes NBC:
“If there is any chance to reopen the case, I hope they will take this opportunity to do it now,” Watts told the Associated Press.
Donham initially testified in defense of Till’s killers, J. W. Milam and his half-brother, Roy Bryant during their trial on September 23, 1955. Though they initially denied the charges, Milam and Bryant admitted to the murder of Till during an interview with Look magazine months later.
During the trial, Donham stated Till “had grabbed her and verbally threatened her,” as well as whistled at her after buying two packs of gum. The all-male, all-white jury deliberated for 67-minutes before finding Milam and Bryant not guilty.
SOURCE: NBC News
10 Reasons We Are Thankful For President Barack Obama
1. We’ll never forget the moment President Obama said Trayvon Martin could have been his son.1 of 9
2. And let’s not forget President Obama was the man behind capturing and killing Al-Qaeda leader Osama Bin Laden.2 of 9
3. He also rejoiced when the Supreme Court ruled in favor of protecting same-sex marriage.3 of 9
4. He always gets his hands a little dirty.4 of 9
5. He genuinely, wholeheartedly, loves the kids.5 of 9
6. Plus, he’s all about b-ball.6 of 9
7. He made two of our favorite players the happiest men on Earth.7 of 9
8. … And what a beautiful example for men on how to treat the ladies in your life.8 of 9
9. There will never be another as suave as President Obama & for that alone, we’re thankful.9 of 9
Emmett Till’s Cousins Call For New Probe After New Revelations About Accuser was originally published on newsone.com