As part of his first whirlwind week in office, President Donald Trump attended the congressional Republican retreat in Philadelphia to talk about the GOP agenda. But his visit was overshadowed by fallout over his plans to build a wall along the U.S./Mexican border.
Mexico’s President Enrique Peña Nieto canceled his scheduled visit to the United States next week, saying Mexico does not believe in walls and will not be paying for one.
As a result of the online beef between Presidents Trump and Peña Nieto, the Trump administration backed away from insisting Mexico would finance the building of the wall. White House Press Secretary Sean Spicer floated the idea that the wall would be paid for with a 20 percent tax on products imported from Mexico.
During Friday’s edition of NewsOne Now, Roland Martin and his panel of guests discussed the Trump administration’s plans for financing the U.S./Mexico border wall and who will ultimately end up paying for it.
NewsOne Now panelist Angela Peoples, co-founder of GetEqual, said, “The tax on the imports are products that people use every single day––the cost is going to go up on these products [which include] fruits, vegetables, cars [and] electronics.”
“These are costs that are going to fall on the American public,” Peoples said. “I don’t know how the Republicans or the Trump administration thinks that they’re going to sell this to their ‘no new taxes’ constituents.”
Watch Roland Martin, Angela Peoples and the NewsOne Now panel discuss whether or not Mexico or the American public will be footing the bill for Trump’s border wall in the video clip above.
Happy Birthday, Barack Obama: Photos That Will Make You Miss Your Favorite President
1. Barack Gives Daughter Malia a KissSource:Getty 1 of 29
2. Michelle and Barack tell the kids a storySource:Getty 2 of 29
3. Michelle and Barack KissSource:Getty 3 of 29
4. Michelle and BarackSource:Getty 4 of 29
5. First Family PortraitSource:Getty 5 of 29
6. Two TermsSource:Getty 6 of 29
7. Michelle and Barack host a State DinnerSource:Getty 7 of 29
8. Barack Obama and Michelle ObamaSource:Getty 8 of 29
9. Sunday ChurchSource:Getty 9 of 29
10. Barack Obama and his daughter Malia ObamaSource:Getty 10 of 29
11. A Family AffairSource:Getty 11 of 29
12. Flashback To The Old DaysSource:Pete Souza 12 of 29
13. Happy Birthday!Source:Getty 13 of 29
14. Candidly AwesomeSource:Pete Souza 14 of 29
15. Historic First FamilySource:Getty 15 of 29
16. Ice Cream TreatSource:Getty 16 of 29
17. TV TimeSource:Pete Souza 17 of 29
18. Hawaii Trip!Source:Getty 18 of 29
19. Obama Loves Team USA & His WifeSource:Getty 19 of 29
20. Reading TimeSource:Pete Souza 20 of 29
21. Family SupportSource:Getty 21 of 29
22. Supporting MomSource:Pete Souza 22 of 29
23. Giving Back On MLK DaySource:Getty 23 of 29
24. Obamas Give Back To The CommunitySource:Getty 24 of 29
25. Always Supporting Small BusinessesSource:Getty 25 of 29
26. Obama SwaggerSource:Getty 26 of 29
27. Laughs & TurkeysSource:Getty 27 of 29
28. Christmas With The ObamasSource:Getty 28 of 29
29. 50th Anniversary Of March On SelmaSource:Pete Souza 29 of 29
Americans Will Ultimately Foot The Bill For Trump’s Wall was originally published on newsone.com