New Orleans’ district attorney said Monday he wants the judge to deliver the harshest sentence possible to the man convicted of killing retired New Orleans Saints player Will Smith, ABC News reports.
“We will do our gut-level best to get the judge to impose the maximum sentence of 60 years,” Orleans District Attorney Leon Cannizzaro stated to the press.
A jury found Cardell Hayes guilty Sunday night of manslaughter in the April 9 road rage shooting, which Hayes argued was self-defense.
Hayes, 29, admitted to a police officer that he exited his vehicle with a weapon when he and Smith confronted each other on a New Orleans street. Smith, who had a loaded .9-mm handgun in his vehicle, was enraged and had a high blood-alcohol level.
But it was Hayes who pulled his trigger, fatally striking Smith and injuring Smith’s wife, Racquel.
A state judge will sentence Hayes on Feb. 17. He would have faced a mandatory life sentence if the jury had found him guilty of second-degree murder. But under the jury’s manslaughter verdict, he faces up to 60 year: 40 years for killing Smith and 20 years for the attempted manslaughter of Racquel.
ABC said Hayes’ attorney complained that the prosecutor and law enforcement were bias against Hayes because of Smith’s popularity. Smith was a star on the 2006 Saints team that rallied the city following the destruction of Hurricane Katrina, as well as a player when the team that won the Super Bowl.
11 Interesting Facts About O.J. Simpson & His Murder Trial
1. Nicole Brown was originally O.J.’s mistress.1 of 13
2. O.J. allegedly apologized over Nicole’s casket.2 of 13
3. The glove didn’t fit because…3 of 13
4. The glove didn’t fit because…4 of 13
5. Marcia Clark once told Johnnie Cochran she was going commando.5 of 13
6. Marcia Clark once told Johnnie Cochran she was going commando.6 of 13
7. The Bronco chase.7 of 13
8. Almost 95 million people were watching the car chase.8 of 13
9. Game 5 of the NBA Finals was also interrupted by the Bronco chase.9 of 13
10. The Bronco chase directly affected Domino’s pizza sales.10 of 13
11. Everything stopped on the day of O.J.’s “Not Guilty” verdict.11 of 13
12. In The Bronco…12 of 13
13. He tried to commit suicide in Khloe Kardashian’s bedroom.13 of 13
Prosecutor Seeks 60-Year Maximum Sentence For Man Who Killed Retired NFL Player Will Smith was originally published on newsone.com