Lifetime and VH1 aren’t the only networks getting in on music biopics. TV One is currently in production on “The Miki Howard Story” (working title) starring Teyonah Parris (Chi-raq, Survivor’s Remorse).
According to Shadow & Act, the film will span over 30 years of Miki Howard‘s personal and professional life. The R&B and Jazz singer was also an actress who appeared in films such as Malcolm X and Poetic Justice.
Howard’s hits throughout the 1980s and early 1990s included: “Come Share My Love,” “Baby, Be Mine,” “Love Under New Management,” “Ain’t Nobody Like You” and others.
The film will also focus on Howard’s relationship with the late Gerald Levert, played by Darius McCrary (Family Matters) who was instrumental in her career success. The pair wrote and sang several songs together including their 1988 duet “That’s What Love Is”, which was one of Howard’s highest charting singles.
On Howard’s episode of Unsung, she credits Levert for helping her to overcome her drug addiction. She says they were in a relationship until his untimely death in 2006.
The untitled project, directed by Christine Swanson is filming in Atlanta and is scheduled to premiere in June 2016.
La La, Teyonah Parris & Michelle Mitchenor Stun At 'Chiraq' Premiere In NYC
1. The Cast Of 'Chiraq'Source:Getty 1 of 11
2. Teyonah Parris & Michelle MitchenorSource:Getty 2 of 11
3. La La & Carmelo AnthonySource:Getty 3 of 11
4. La La & Spike LeeSource:Getty 4 of 11
5. John Cusack & Harry LennixSource:Getty 5 of 11
6. Anthony Chisholm, Kissk, Nick Cannon, Tonya Lewis Lee, Director Spike Lee, Satchel Lee, La La Anthony, Carmelo Anthony & Cassandra FreemanSource:Getty 6 of 11
7. Nick CannonSource:Getty 7 of 11
8. Michelle MitchenorSource:Getty 8 of 11
9. George Willborn, Harry Lennix, director Spike Lee & John TurturroSource:Getty 9 of 11
10. A$AP FergSource:Getty 10 of 11
11. Laz AlonsoSource:Getty 11 of 11
Teyonah Parris Stars As Miki Howard In New TV One Biopic was originally published on hellobeautiful.com