Are African American households participating in the most racist media propaganda campaign in television history by watching reality TV?
In a recent article on theGrio, Sil Lai Abrams argued that the proliferation of Black performers in reality television programming is doing nothing to help create a positive reality of the African American experience. In fact, Abrams says that our increased participation–which should be a good thing–is creating the opposite effect; it is perpetuating negative stereotypes that create false perceptions of Black people for the nation to consume.
The most recent candidate aspiring to make its way to primetime coonery is “All My Babies’ Mamas, starring Atlanta-based rapper Shawty Lo and his ten babies’ mothers.
The trailer sparked so much controversy that the NAACP reportedly sent a letter to Oxygen’s President Jason Klarman expressing its outrage over the proposed show’s negative portrayal of Black families. And a Change.org petition demanding that the show not air has gotten more than 35,000 signatures. The reality series is reportedly in “early development” and is not green-lighted to air as of yet.
Though other reality TV shows that are enjoying successful runs, like “Love and Hip Hop” And “Basketball Wives,” are not any better.
“The underlying message most of these shows send about blacks is that we’re shallow, impulsive creatures lacking in self-control without any vision of life that doesn’t include vacations (or funerals) they can’t afford, slanging rhymes, having too many children, and shopping oneself into bankruptcy,” Abrams said.
Below Abrams outlines how portrayals of Black people on television have devolved over the years:
In the decades since the Civil Rights and Black Power movements, the imagery of black people in media, particularly on television, has changed considerably. Now, I’m not a sociologist, but it is my guess that the materialism and “success at any cost” mindset that pervades modern popular culture today is likely a reaction to the economic uncertainty and hopelessness that is the true reality for many black people.
As a single mother who has struggled against many of the same systemic issues that affect our community (should I list the issues? I think we know them…) I understand the need for escape. Let’s face it: life is hard. Anyone who tries to tell you otherwise deserves a serious double side eye. This entertainment is a form of escape.
The “overnight success” stories of individuals who are as a whole largely without any real discernible talent are the driving force behind the most popular shows such as Love & Hip Hop and Basketball Wives. Reality show “stars” present what appears to be an attainable, glamorous lifestyle to a group of women who may not have the wherewithal or resources needed to carve out a financially stable life for themselves realistically.
But, in the process of enjoying this escape, we are ignoring the emotionally abusive and disrespectful behavior of male cast members such as L&HH’s Stevie J that reinforces the idea that a black man’s power is best expressed through unbridled and unprincipled sexual behavior, as just one example of these show’s many horrible messages.
Does Abrams have a point?
Are African Americans aiding and abetting in the White media’s creation of these shows, which benefit of their bottom lines but degenerate our image as a whole? While many of us are assail the Black people who are “acting” on these shows, should we refocus that disdain on ourselves?
12. My slums know it's coming real soon. It's a marathon. Remember that🕊King Slum
12 of 64
13. You'z a flip ! Lol
13 of 64
14. London 🏄🏾
14 of 64
15. Dinwiddee VA Over 7,000 People Shit Was Something 2 Remember.... #IMissYallAlready #Plies #AintNoMixtapeBih2 (Link In Bio) #RanOffOnDaPlugTwice #RanOffOnDaPlugTwiceTour #RitzCarlton🔥
15 of 64
16. Me & PND Got Some For Ya
16 of 64
17. The Love Was Mad Real In San Francisco it's #moolahseason 📷 by @dionesnavalta 🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥 #younggreatness #moolahseason #islahtour #sanfrancisco #moolah #QCTHALABEL
17 of 64
18. Only if ya up.. 👑
18 of 64
19. I Just Fucked Portland, Oregon Up Ask About Me It's #moolahseason 🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥 #younggreatness #moolahseason #islahtour #portland #moolah #QCTHALABEL
19 of 64
20. What if I told you there was a Taylor Gang x Slum project in the making. Would u listen?
20 of 64
21. My lil homie growing up fast. Gotta get this pic framed. RIP JEFF 🙏
21 of 64
22. This Shit The Trillest Birmingham, Alabama Was Crazy it's #moolahseason 📷 by @dionesnavalta 🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥 #younggreatness #moolahseason #islahtour #alabama #birmingham #moolah #QCTHALABEL
22 of 64
23. Crowd control
23 of 64
24 of 64
25. Young Louis Johnson #fenderelite
25 of 64
26 of 64
27 of 64
28. Free TC tour
28 of 64
29. Richmond, Va Was Lit Last Night Word for Word its #MoolahSeason 📷 by @unkutcinematics 🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥#younggreatness #MoolahSeason #richmond #virginia #moolah #QCTHALABEL
29 of 64
30. Salute To My Niggas @jeezy and @akon for bringing me out in my city tonight I will never forget this its #MoolahSeason 🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥 #younggreatness #MoolahSeason #neworleans #easterjam #moolah #QCTHALABEL
30 of 64
31. Just be doin me! Don't really care what everybody else doin! 📷 @nickbrazinsky
31 of 64
32. "They Screaming Moolah When I Walk In The Building The Young Boi Make A Killing" Recap Of Diamond Awards It's #moolahseason 📷 @niqko 🏆 #younggreatness #moolahseason #jacksonville #florida #diamondawards #breakthroughartistoftheyear #moolah #QCTHALABEL
32 of 64
33. Hand stand on Rotterdam 🤘🏽😆🤘🏽
33 of 64
34. Anytime U Pay Your Money U Deserve Da BEST!!!! #BiloxiMS #Plies #AintNoMixtapeBih2 (Link In Bio) #RanOffOnDaPlugTwice #RanOffOnDaPlugTwiceTour #RitzCarlton🔥
34 of 64
35. You really don't wanna see these two clocked In the studio. Real issues.King Slum
35 of 64
36. Much love to @979thebeat! Had Fun today at the Grambling Vs. PV game! #BeatUpTheBlock
36 of 64
37. Sold Out Show at Mississippi State after they just beat Auburn! Number 1 Team in the Country Now! They went up All night! #BeatUpTheBlock #MississippiStateUniversity
37 of 64
38. Dallas! 2night meant ALOT 2 Me! The Love was Phenomenal! I appreciate every bit of it! #BeatUpTheBlock #TexasRapfest Photo by @QuickMixx!!!
38 of 64
39. Show Season! Booking in Bio! #TexaFornia! @HazeMusicGroup
39 of 64
40. It's these Moments that makes it all worth it!
40 of 64
41. Last Nite
41 of 64
42 of 64
43. Ask @KennyBurns about Japanese
43 of 64
44. Reppin the 3rd coast on the West coast wit @urbanstashspotclothing x @satellitesupply #HoustonOiler
55. Cookin in the studio today 💯 finna get this music out there for y'all 🙌 stay tuned 🙏
55 of 64
56. Cookin in the studio today 💯 finna get this music out there for y'all 🙌 stay tuned 🙏
56 of 64
57. Me and Aunt Viv on the same thing today 😭😂 #MerryBRUHMas #MERRYCHRISTMAS
57 of 64
58. Me and Aunt Viv on the same thing today 😭😂 #MerryBRUHMas #MERRYCHRISTMAS
58 of 64
59. Down w whateva.
59 of 64
60. Told my lady look at me everyday like the girl n the 2nd row look at me.. 😬King Slum
60 of 64
61. One of those feelings you can't explain. I love my fans & supporters. If you fxck w my campaign comment. "King Slum"
61 of 64
62. Da Face U Make When She Show U Dat Lil Pwussy Got Some Power..... #Plies #AintNoMixtapeBih2 (Link In Bio) #RanOffOnDaPlugTwice #RanOffOnDaPlugTwiceTour #RitzCarlton🔥
62 of 64
63. I Stay In My Own Lane..... S/O 2 Everybody Over @ XXL Magazine.... #Plies #AintNoMixtapeBih2 (Link In Bio) #RanOffOnDaPlugTwice #RanOffOnDaPlugTwiceTour #RitzCarlton🔥
63 of 64
64. I Owe This 1 🏆 To All of Y'all , As Of Today #LateNightsTheAlbum Is RIAA Certified Gold. Even Through The NYE Ball Drop ,Three Months Later.. It Was All Worth It. Thanx To Every Producer/Writer/Artist/Engineer That Helped Me Create This. To Mih Fans I Truly Love & Appreciate Each And Every 1 Of You , I Gotchu! 500,000,000 Streams?? True Testament That Without Y'all I'm Really Nothin ' 🔑 #BlessUpPlaqueUp #GoldMember #LateNights < #LaterThatNight 🌚♋️
64 of 64
Continue reading Are Blacks To Blame For Negative Portrayals Of African Americans On Reality TV?
Our Favorite Performance Shots from the Dub Car Show & Concert 2016 Artist Line Up