Finally, a panel about Black women that actually features smart Black women, and not men dictating women’s experiences. Issa Rae, Jacque Reid, comedienne Marina Franklin and Dr. Christina Greer of Fordham University joined Larry Willmore for a panel discussion about relationships and the unique challenges Black women may face while dating.
Issa Rae started the discussion with stats about Black women and Asian men being the least chosen on dating sites. From her personal experience, she felt that the more educated a Black woman is, the harder it is for her to find a good man. Her theory was that when Black men are more educated they tend to be aware of how much more of a catch they are, and aren’t so easily tied down, which then discourages Black women from being optimistic about Black love.
Jacque Reid thinks the numbers on dating sites are skewed, because they don’t attract as many Black people as folks think, but she is an advocate for finding love wherever you can as long as the man is a good man.
Comedienne Marina Franklin often jokes about how she dates White men, and is currently dating a younger White man, but isn’t against dating Black men contrary to what people seem to believe based on her standups. Meanwhile Christina Greer, an assistant professor at Fordham University, is married to a well-educated Black man. Her stance is that good Black men aren’t unicorns and that everyone comes with “some assembly required.”
I’m with Christina on that, but watch the clip first:
Like I said, I’m with Christina. Good Black men aren’t unicorns. I’m married to a good, educated Black man, and he didn’t fall out of the sky. However, all of the points in this can be used for dating success because dating is actually exhausting. Basically, be open when it comes to dating. Have standards that are realistic, but not impossible. Be patient, be proactive, be safe, and have fun until you finally meet Mr. Right.
PHOTOS OF THE DAY: Yazz, Jay Z, Kendall Jenner, & More
1. Bryshere Grey, aka Yazz The Greatest, aka Hakeem from "Empire" was on hand as Brisk Iced Tea Unveiled their Limited Edition Apparel Collection with Streetwear Brand Mishka at the Hole in NYC.Source:Splash News 1 of 10
2. Chanel Iman and the wind had a moment together in Cannes as she stepped off a yacht.Source:Splash News 2 of 10
3. Cara Delevingne and Kendall Jenner were running through Cannes having a good time as they enjoyed lunch together.Source:Splash News 3 of 10
4. Miles Teller's girlfriend Keleigh Sperry showed off her little MT tattoo on her little booty. Guess we know the answer to "Whose ____ is this?"Source:Splash News 4 of 10
5. Here's the rest of Miles Teller's girlfriend Keleigh Sperry, but you can click back one to see her boyfriend's initials one more time.Source:Splash News 5 of 10
6. Keyshia Cole is gorgeous at the airport.Source:Splash News 6 of 10
7. Nicki Minaj's boyfriend Meek Mill arrived at LAX looking like thriller.Source:Splash News 7 of 10
8. Dwayne Johnson flashes a smile after having his hand and footprints immortalized in cement at the TCL Chinese Theatre in Hollywood, California.Source:Splash News 8 of 10
9. It's spring time in New York, so you know what that means: It's Timberland season for Jay Z.Source:Splash News 9 of 10
10. Beyonce wears a tartan patterned skirt and a Lone Star Beer shirt while out and about in NYC. How much stuff do you think she's actually carrying in that bag tho?Source:Splash News 10 of 10
Issa Rae, Jacque Reid Discuss Interracial Dating On Larry Wilmore was originally published on hellobeautiful.com