CLOSE

(According to The Dallas Morning News) DALLAS — A Dallas Morning News delivery driver was killed after two men chased him down and shot him early Monday morning, police said.

Dallas police said the two men approached the victim, 58-year-old Robert Lawrence, just as he was stepping out of his pickup truck to deliver newspapers in front of the Save Way Food Store on Ann Arbor Avenue.

Lawrence tried to run from the men, but was shot three times in what police said was a robbery. The victim’s wallet was stolen, making an immediate identification of the man difficult. His body was found several hundred feet from his truck on Frio Drive.

A man arrived at the scene just before 6:30 a.m. crying out, “That’s my pop; That’s my pop.” The man was watching WFAA-TV when he saw the report and headed to the scene.

Lawrence had been a contractor for The News for about 20 years and before that had worked for the Dallas Times Herald, said Chip Danneker, senior director of circulation operations for The News.

“He was a really nice gentleman, from Jamaica originally, very prim and proper,” Danneker said. “His family is very distraught.”

Danneker said Lawrence had an adult son who was also a contract delivery driver for the newspaper.

“We’re very sad,” said Sgt. Bruce McDonald, Dallas Police Department. “The gentlemen is doing a job in the middle of the night and it’s really a tragedy that this could happen.”

Michael Burrowes, a close friend who last saw Lawrence on Saturday, went to the scene of the crime.

“To be with someone less than 48 hours and something like this happens, it’s like a part of your heart is up here,” he said.

Police dusted the pickup truck for fingerprints. The Save Way Food Store owner does have surveillance cameras, which were rolling at the time of the crime.

Authorities said there was one witness who described the crime, and was able to give a description of the suspects.

For Immediate Release

Radio One, Inc.-Dallas’ KBFB 97.9 The Beat’s Rickey Smiley Morning Show with Mayor Pro Tem Dwaine R. Caraway and The City of Dallas Commit to Initiate Anti-Violence Campaign

Dallas, Texas, May 3, 2010- Violence is a constant issue in every city and Mayor Pro Tem Dwaine Caraway with the City of Dallas have issued a collaborative plea of assistance and a call to action from Radio One, Inc.’s Rickey Smiley of the Rickey Smiley Morning Show for a Begin to End Anti-Violence campaign to discuss this perilous issue in an ongoing effort.

Wednesday, May 5, 2010 at 12Noon in the Flag Room at Dallas City Hall located at 1500 Marilla Mayor Pro Tem Caraway, and Rickey Smiley will hold a Press Conference to announce the importance of initiating this Begin to End Anti-Violence Campaign and how being proactive collectively as parents, individuals and citizens within our communities is the key to effectively diminish violence’s growth in our homes, schools and neighborhoods.

This Begin to End call to action is a result from four brutal violent crimes all resulting fatally within a week. The crimes range from domestic violence, armed robbery to a home invasion and a fatal stabbing at a local nightclub.

This press conference and it’s anticipated efforts will bring heightened awareness of the violence being committed in the Dallas Metro Area and will initiate a plea and an urgent challenge to Civic Leaders, Educators, Social Administrators, Politicians, Churches and the Citizens of Dallas to get up and get involved with possible solutions and specific strategies particularly as the summer months approach.

On Wednesday, May 5, 2010 at 12 Noon at Dallas City Hall in the Flag Room the Begin to End Ant-Violence Campaign movement will begin.

For additional information by phone contact: Stephen “Red” Delasbour or Stephanie Nash in Promotions at Radio One Inc.’s KBFB 97.9 The Beat at (972) 331.5418 or electronically at sdelasbour@radio-one.com or snash@radio-one.com

×