The grandmother of a North Carolina teen who was shot eight times by a police officer early Saturday recently broke her silence amid her wait for answers and a state investigation.
“He’s fighting for his life. He’s fighting for his life,” Wanda Bethea, grandmother of 18-year-old Dezmond Bethea, said about the teen being shot in Laurinburg to local news outlet WPDE. “And as far as the investigation, we can’t say anything, like. The SBI (State Bureau of Investigation). It could take a week. It could take a month. It could take whatever. You know, we’re still waiting to hear from there. I understand it’s going to take some time for this to take place.”
Follow The Beat On Twitter: Follow @979thebeat
Police responded to a call around 2 a.m. Saturday about shots being fired at an intersection in Laurinburg, Police Chief Darwin Williams confirmed. One officer was involved in the shooting, Williams said, declining to speak on the specific incident details. The officer and teen’s names were also not released as well as information on whether the teen was unarmed.
An Emergency Medical Services director, however, shed some light on what happened during the shooting.
Sign Up For Our Newsletter!
“There were two different calls. Whether they were related or not I can’t say for certain, but they were both transported from the same area at about the same time,” Roylin Hammond, EMS director at Scotland Memorial Hospital in Laurinburg, said to Laurinburg Exchange, another local news outlet. “The calls came in at a little after 2 a.m. and another around 2:30 [a.m.].”
The first individual was taken from a food mart parking lot, and a second person with multiple gunshot wounds was transported to the hospital, according to Hammond.
The teen, who is a Scotland High School senior, suffered 17 wounds and underwent an eight-hour surgery, Bethea said. Her road to making a full recovery will involve more surgeries.
The North Carolina State Bureau of Investigation (SBI) is investigating the officer-involved shooting. The Scotland County NAACP in also involved in the matter, the Laurinburg Exchange said.
10 Black Weddings That Were Absolutely Royal
1. Barack and Michelle Obama Marry on October 3, 19921 of 10
2. Solange Knowles Marrying Alan Ferguson on November 16, 20142 of 10
3. Serena Williams Marries Alexis Ohanian November 16, 20173 of 10
4. Gucci Mane Marries Keyshia Ka'oir on October 17, 20174 of 10
5. Gabrielle Union Marries Dwyane Wade on August 30, 20145 of 10
6. Kevin Hart Marries Eniko Parrish on August 13, 20166 of 10
7. Chanel Iman and Sterling Shepard Marry on March 3, 20187 of 10
8. LeToya Luckett and Tommicus Walker Marry On December 10, 20178 of 10
9. John Legend and Chrissy Teigen Marry On September 14, 20139 of 10
10. One of the Few Photos From Beyoncé And Jay Z Wedding in 200810 of 10
- #BijouStarRules: Joseline Hernandez Getting Her Own Reality Show
- Meme-Worthy: Photo Of Young Thug Concentrating Goes Viral
- Superman Silly: Dwight Howard And All His Goofiness Are Headed To Brooklyn
- 18 Dallas-Fort Worth Rappers You Should Be Following
- Watch: Alessia Cara Goes Through ‘Growing Pains’ In New Music Video
- #WordEyeHeard: Big Sean Bringing 5000 Tech Jobs to Detroit
- Ms. Lauryn Hill’s Anniversary Tour Is For Errbody, Featuring Errbody
- DFW Local Music: Dooney Da Barber “Daily Basis” [VIDEO]
- #WordEyeHeard: XXXTentacion Fans Jumping From Roofs at Memorial
- Kruz Newz: Starbucks to Close 150 Stores
Heartbreaking: Grandmother Says Police Shot At Her Grandson Eight Times was originally published on newsone.com