Anthony Berry–who has a story that’s grabbing attention– was one of 18 kids adopted in Beaumont, Texas on Friday, KBMT-TV reported.
“Well at first I thought he was making jokes until he actually explained the situation. And then we struck a deal, finish an assignment and then you can show me the website,” the 16-year-old’s teacher, who’s now his adoptive mother, recalled about their first steps to becoming mother and son.
Follow The Beat On Twitter: Follow @979thebeat
Anthony, at age 16, was the oldest child adopted at a Wizard of Oz themed ceremony in a Jefferson County ceremony, by Judge Larry Thorne who played the role of “Mayor of Munchkin City.” Bennie Berry, Anthony’s new mom, was his teacher at Pathways Learning Center in Beaumont. She recalled her shock when Anthony asked her to become his mother because he never wanted to be adopted. Anthony now advocates adoption to kids who have settled in their mind that they don’t want a forever family. “Take into consideration…there is always someone that will love you,” he told the ABC News affiliate.
Sign Up For Our Newsletter!
Unlike Anthony and his new mom, scores of Black parents and kids become united as a family through informal adoption and kinship, which are common practices in the community, according to a U.S. Census Bureau study. About half of adopted children in U.S. households were White, non-Hispanic, according to the 2010 Census. But 71 percent of adopted children lived with a White parent. Hispanic children make up 18 percent of adopted kids, and 16 percent are African American. About 40 percent of adopted children are of a different race, culture, or ethnicity than one or both their adoptive parents.
Happy Birthday, Barack Obama: Photos That Will Make You Miss Your Favorite President
1. Barack Gives Daughter Malia a KissSource:Getty 1 of 29
2. Michelle and Barack tell the kids a storySource:Getty 2 of 29
3. Michelle and Barack KissSource:Getty 3 of 29
4. Michelle and BarackSource:Getty 4 of 29
5. First Family PortraitSource:Getty 5 of 29
6. Two TermsSource:Getty 6 of 29
7. Michelle and Barack host a State DinnerSource:Getty 7 of 29
8. Barack Obama and Michelle ObamaSource:Getty 8 of 29
9. Sunday ChurchSource:Getty 9 of 29
10. Barack Obama and his daughter Malia ObamaSource:Getty 10 of 29
11. A Family AffairSource:Getty 11 of 29
12. Flashback To The Old DaysSource:Pete Souza 12 of 29
13. Happy Birthday!Source:Getty 13 of 29
14. Candidly AwesomeSource:Pete Souza 14 of 29
15. Historic First FamilySource:Getty 15 of 29
16. Ice Cream TreatSource:Getty 16 of 29
17. TV TimeSource:Pete Souza 17 of 29
18. Hawaii Trip!Source:Getty 18 of 29
19. Obama Loves Team USA & His WifeSource:Getty 19 of 29
20. Reading TimeSource:Pete Souza 20 of 29
21. Family SupportSource:Getty 21 of 29
22. Supporting MomSource:Pete Souza 22 of 29
23. Giving Back On MLK DaySource:Getty 23 of 29
24. Obamas Give Back To The CommunitySource:Getty 24 of 29
25. Always Supporting Small BusinessesSource:Getty 25 of 29
26. Obama SwaggerSource:Getty 26 of 29
27. Laughs & TurkeysSource:Getty 27 of 29
28. Christmas With The ObamasSource:Getty 28 of 29
29. 50th Anniversary Of March On SelmaSource:Pete Souza 29 of 29
Watch: Student And Teacher United By Adoption In A Touching Ceremony was originally published on newsone.com