Exercising regularly is vital for great health. It improves circulation, revitalizes the body, helps you lose weight, helps you relieve stress, helps your body function better, etc., etc., etc. One of the best ways to commit to getting fit is to pay for it, such as with a gym membership or buying a series of classes at a local studio.
But it is also important to make your commitment an enjoyable one. For example, if you like working out outdoors, consider walking, running or biking. Think about the types of activities that you truly enjoy, and then get out there!
4. Eat Better
Just like exercising, eating right is the key to a healthy lifestyle. While most experts agree that different people have different nutritional needs, they also agree that people in general should opt for whole, unprocessed foods and control their portion sizes. So throw out anything that is processed and has refined sugar (an easy guideline to follow – if you can’t pronounce it, don’t buy it).
Also, start the day with half a fresh lemon squeezed into a glass of warm water, which is believed to cleanse the organs and give your body a nice boost of vitamin c.
Additional ways to spring clean your eating routine include:
- Drink more water
- Increase your daily fiber intake to 25-35 grams (top sources include beans, black-eyed peas, whole wheat flour, bran, berries and prunes)
- Cut back or eliminate meat and dairy products at least once or twice a week
- Make sure you’re eating 3-5 servings of fruit and veggies every day
- Try to eat smaller, simpler meals more frequently throughout the day
- Talk to a nutritionist about using herbs to complement your diet
- Snack, but snack healthy (such as almonds, veggies, and/or healthy smoothies)
5. Take Better Care Of You
Take time to stress less. Way less. Meditate in the morning and/or evening. Treat yourself often with healthy gifts, such as a massage, a pedicure or flowers for your desk at work. Take better care of your body, such as taking a relaxing bath and using products that help soothe and rejuvenate.
6. Don’t Forget About Your Spirit!
Your spirit may appreciate a bit of spring cleaning, too! The Bible encourages us to draw close to God and allow our hearts and bodies to be cleansed:
Create in me a clean heart, O God; and renew a right spirit within me ~Psalm 51:10