According to Oxygen, “All My Babies’ Mamas (pictured),” which starsrapper Shawty Lo, his 11 children, and the 10 women he created them with, is a one-hour special chronicling ”every second of the drama-filled lives surrounding a unique ‘modern’ family unit, as they navigate their financially and emotionally connected lives.”
I imagine the fledgling network still excited with even half a million viewers has bigger plans than for this project than a one-off special, but there are a growing number of people hoping to stop “All My Babies’ Mamas” from even getting to that point.
Many who have watched the 10-minute clip that served as a pilot for the special are demanding its cancellation. The most popular petition was launched by Sabrina Lamb and has thus far amassed more than 4,500 signatures.
In an open letter directed at Oxygen development execs, Lamb writes:
By pushing these degrading images, your company seeks to profit from the humiliation of girls and women and the blatant stereotyping of African Americans. We think Oxygen and the show’s creators and producers have gone too far and if this show is aired, we will, without hesitation, boycott any and all companies that advertise during this minstrel show.
Although I wouldn’t want to be a branch on Shawty Lo’s family tree either, I find it a bit grating to see other Blacks be so quick to dismiss their own as a “minstrel show.” Even if dramatized for the sake of creating a narrative for a show, these are actual people leading relatively the same lives on and off camera.
They are not Stepin Fetchit, and it’s insulting to consistently immediately pass them, and other Black reality stars displaying less than pristine images on camera, as such. For anyone who professes to be that concerned about the children featured on the show, don’t dismiss their parents or their own existence so harshly.
Then again, that’s assuming this is actually about them and not merely another battle in the ongoing war among some Blacks as to who should be allowed to represent us onscreen.
I tend to be more concerned about balancing our imagery versus policing it, and in this instance, there are plenty out there to counter whatever Shawty Lo will offer.
The most-famous father in the country is President Barack Obama, and I’m almost certain that reruns of “The Cosby Show” will generate higher ratings than “All My Babies’ Mamas.“
A few years ago there was the E! reality series “Snoop Dogg: Father Hood,” which showed the rapper as a hands-on Dad who even took the time to coach his children’s sports teams. A more contemporary alternative is “T.I. and Tiny: A Family Hustle,” a VH1 reality series that also features a family consisting of children with multiple parents. We’ve seen numerous other rappers prove themselves to be responsible, loving fathers, too, i.e., Will Smith, Jay-Z, Ice Cube, Ludacris, Ice-T, Big Boi, Bun B, and so forth.
I share concerns with those who noticed that many of the women the 36-year-old Shawty Lo has procreated with are young — possibly too young under the law when the sexual act happened. That said, call SUV and Chris Hansen. A signature can only do so much in that regard. The same can be said of concerns about unprotected sex, unplanned pregnancies, and sexually transmitted diseases in our community.
So as much as I understand how frustrating the state of Black entertainment can be at times, and as sympathetic as I try to be with those who want to lend their voices to the varying problems that exists in media, when I see these Shawty Lo protests, all I can wonder is how much power should we keep giving basic cable programming?
The end of “All My Babies’ Mamas” won’t stop those like Shawty Lo from being featured on “Maury,” fictionalized in urban literature, or for that matter, spotted on any random street. The spectacle of it all might be an eye sore, but sweeping it away isn’t substantive change. I don’t see how the cancellation of “All My Babies’ Mamas” will do anything to fight the troubles related to unprotected sex than the banning of video games will curb rampant gun violence.
Michael Arceneaux is a Houston-bred, Howard-educated writer and blogger. You can read more of his work on his site, The Cynical Ones. Follow him on Twitter: @youngsinick
12. My slums know it's coming real soon. It's a marathon. Remember that🕊King Slum
12 of 64
13. You'z a flip ! Lol
13 of 64
14. London 🏄🏾
14 of 64
15. Dinwiddee VA Over 7,000 People Shit Was Something 2 Remember.... #IMissYallAlready #Plies #AintNoMixtapeBih2 (Link In Bio) #RanOffOnDaPlugTwice #RanOffOnDaPlugTwiceTour #RitzCarlton🔥
15 of 64
16. Me & PND Got Some For Ya
16 of 64
17. The Love Was Mad Real In San Francisco it's #moolahseason 📷 by @dionesnavalta 🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥 #younggreatness #moolahseason #islahtour #sanfrancisco #moolah #QCTHALABEL
17 of 64
18. Only if ya up.. 👑
18 of 64
19. I Just Fucked Portland, Oregon Up Ask About Me It's #moolahseason 🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥 #younggreatness #moolahseason #islahtour #portland #moolah #QCTHALABEL
19 of 64
20. What if I told you there was a Taylor Gang x Slum project in the making. Would u listen?
20 of 64
21. My lil homie growing up fast. Gotta get this pic framed. RIP JEFF 🙏
21 of 64
22. This Shit The Trillest Birmingham, Alabama Was Crazy it's #moolahseason 📷 by @dionesnavalta 🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥 #younggreatness #moolahseason #islahtour #alabama #birmingham #moolah #QCTHALABEL
22 of 64
23. Crowd control
23 of 64
24 of 64
25. Young Louis Johnson #fenderelite
25 of 64
26 of 64
27 of 64
28. Free TC tour
28 of 64
29. Richmond, Va Was Lit Last Night Word for Word its #MoolahSeason 📷 by @unkutcinematics 🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥#younggreatness #MoolahSeason #richmond #virginia #moolah #QCTHALABEL
29 of 64
30. Salute To My Niggas @jeezy and @akon for bringing me out in my city tonight I will never forget this its #MoolahSeason 🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥 #younggreatness #MoolahSeason #neworleans #easterjam #moolah #QCTHALABEL
30 of 64
31. Just be doin me! Don't really care what everybody else doin! 📷 @nickbrazinsky
31 of 64
32. "They Screaming Moolah When I Walk In The Building The Young Boi Make A Killing" Recap Of Diamond Awards It's #moolahseason 📷 @niqko 🏆 #younggreatness #moolahseason #jacksonville #florida #diamondawards #breakthroughartistoftheyear #moolah #QCTHALABEL
32 of 64
33. Hand stand on Rotterdam 🤘🏽😆🤘🏽
33 of 64
34. Anytime U Pay Your Money U Deserve Da BEST!!!! #BiloxiMS #Plies #AintNoMixtapeBih2 (Link In Bio) #RanOffOnDaPlugTwice #RanOffOnDaPlugTwiceTour #RitzCarlton🔥
34 of 64
35. You really don't wanna see these two clocked In the studio. Real issues.King Slum
35 of 64
36. Much love to @979thebeat! Had Fun today at the Grambling Vs. PV game! #BeatUpTheBlock
36 of 64
37. Sold Out Show at Mississippi State after they just beat Auburn! Number 1 Team in the Country Now! They went up All night! #BeatUpTheBlock #MississippiStateUniversity
37 of 64
38. Dallas! 2night meant ALOT 2 Me! The Love was Phenomenal! I appreciate every bit of it! #BeatUpTheBlock #TexasRapfest Photo by @QuickMixx!!!
38 of 64
39. Show Season! Booking in Bio! #TexaFornia! @HazeMusicGroup
39 of 64
40. It's these Moments that makes it all worth it!
40 of 64
41. Last Nite
41 of 64
42 of 64
43. Ask @KennyBurns about Japanese
43 of 64
44. Reppin the 3rd coast on the West coast wit @urbanstashspotclothing x @satellitesupply #HoustonOiler
55. Cookin in the studio today 💯 finna get this music out there for y'all 🙌 stay tuned 🙏
55 of 64
56. Cookin in the studio today 💯 finna get this music out there for y'all 🙌 stay tuned 🙏
56 of 64
57. Me and Aunt Viv on the same thing today 😭😂 #MerryBRUHMas #MERRYCHRISTMAS
57 of 64
58. Me and Aunt Viv on the same thing today 😭😂 #MerryBRUHMas #MERRYCHRISTMAS
58 of 64
59. Down w whateva.
59 of 64
60. Told my lady look at me everyday like the girl n the 2nd row look at me.. 😬King Slum
60 of 64
61. One of those feelings you can't explain. I love my fans & supporters. If you fxck w my campaign comment. "King Slum"
61 of 64
62. Da Face U Make When She Show U Dat Lil Pwussy Got Some Power..... #Plies #AintNoMixtapeBih2 (Link In Bio) #RanOffOnDaPlugTwice #RanOffOnDaPlugTwiceTour #RitzCarlton🔥
62 of 64
63. I Stay In My Own Lane..... S/O 2 Everybody Over @ XXL Magazine.... #Plies #AintNoMixtapeBih2 (Link In Bio) #RanOffOnDaPlugTwice #RanOffOnDaPlugTwiceTour #RitzCarlton🔥
63 of 64
64. I Owe This 1 🏆 To All of Y'all , As Of Today #LateNightsTheAlbum Is RIAA Certified Gold. Even Through The NYE Ball Drop ,Three Months Later.. It Was All Worth It. Thanx To Every Producer/Writer/Artist/Engineer That Helped Me Create This. To Mih Fans I Truly Love & Appreciate Each And Every 1 Of You , I Gotchu! 500,000,000 Streams?? True Testament That Without Y'all I'm Really Nothin ' 🔑 #BlessUpPlaqueUp #GoldMember #LateNights < #LaterThatNight 🌚♋️
64 of 64
Continue reading Do Black Folks Need To Worry About Shawty Lo’s ‘Baby Mamas?’
Our Favorite Performance Shots from the Dub Car Show & Concert 2016 Artist Line Up