Nas, hip-hop’s most influential MC, and popular Texas guitar virtuoso Gary Clark, Jr. are collaborating on the music for ESPN’s three-day presentation of the 2012 NFL Draft from Radio City Music Hall in New York, April 26-28.
A pair of new Nas songs – Train and The Don, from his upcoming Def Jam Recordings album – and Clark’s hit song Bright Lights from the Warner Bros. label will be used coming in and out of commercial breaks and in highlight packages of this year’s NFL Draft prospects. Nas will also add a few lyrics of his own to Bright Lights that embody the vibe of the athlete and rising to the top, in this case, realizing the dream of playing professional football.
ESPN conducted shoots with both Nas (in New York) and Clark (in Austin, Texas) in March. Video of the artists will be used in addition to their music. ESPN is also airing a promo segment on SportsCenter, NFL Live and other shows beginning this week that incorporates Bright Lights.
ESPN has worked with both artists on previous occasions. Nas narrated a powerful feature for the ESPN newsmagazine, E:60, in 2010 that garnered a Sports Emmy about amputees in Liberia who play soccer, and Clark was one of the Warner Bros. artists featured during ESPN and ABC’s 2011 college football coverage.
“The NFL Draft is set in New York in primetime, so we were looking at music that is central to that theme, and both Nas, who is from New York, and Gary Clark Jr. have that feel,” said ESPN music director Kevin Wilson. “When we heard the The Don and Train and proposed the idea of custom lyrics from Nas, we knew those songs were perfect for the Draft. Both The Don and Bright Lights are about New York City and there’s a great line in Gary’s song: ‘you gonna know my name by the end of the night’. That is the essence of the draft. We felt this could be a great collaboration, especially combining artists from different musical styles. Both parties were open to the concept and the music is going to add even more sizzle to our coverage of the event.”
Nas said: “I know this from experience: every rookie has the chance to become a Hall of Famer. It’s why we never miss a game, even a play. Props to the NFL and ESPN for keeping us hooked on professional football all year round. As a fan, I’m happy to be part of it.”
Clark added: “I have mad respect for Nas and the things he’s put out there over the years. I really enjoyed working on this project with ESPN and look forward to seeing the whole thing come together.”
Nas’ first new studio album in four years is scheduled to be released later this year. The Don, the album’s new advance track, premiered earlier this month and is already receiving rave reviews.
12. My slums know it's coming real soon. It's a marathon. Remember that🕊King Slum
12 of 64
13. You'z a flip ! Lol
13 of 64
14. London 🏄🏾
14 of 64
15. Dinwiddee VA Over 7,000 People Shit Was Something 2 Remember.... #IMissYallAlready #Plies #AintNoMixtapeBih2 (Link In Bio) #RanOffOnDaPlugTwice #RanOffOnDaPlugTwiceTour #RitzCarlton🔥
15 of 64
16. Me & PND Got Some For Ya
16 of 64
17. The Love Was Mad Real In San Francisco it's #moolahseason 📷 by @dionesnavalta 🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥 #younggreatness #moolahseason #islahtour #sanfrancisco #moolah #QCTHALABEL
17 of 64
18. Only if ya up.. 👑
18 of 64
19. I Just Fucked Portland, Oregon Up Ask About Me It's #moolahseason 🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥 #younggreatness #moolahseason #islahtour #portland #moolah #QCTHALABEL
19 of 64
20. What if I told you there was a Taylor Gang x Slum project in the making. Would u listen?
20 of 64
21. My lil homie growing up fast. Gotta get this pic framed. RIP JEFF 🙏
21 of 64
22. This Shit The Trillest Birmingham, Alabama Was Crazy it's #moolahseason 📷 by @dionesnavalta 🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥 #younggreatness #moolahseason #islahtour #alabama #birmingham #moolah #QCTHALABEL
22 of 64
23. Crowd control
23 of 64
24 of 64
25. Young Louis Johnson #fenderelite
25 of 64
26 of 64
27 of 64
28. Free TC tour
28 of 64
29. Richmond, Va Was Lit Last Night Word for Word its #MoolahSeason 📷 by @unkutcinematics 🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥#younggreatness #MoolahSeason #richmond #virginia #moolah #QCTHALABEL
29 of 64
30. Salute To My Niggas @jeezy and @akon for bringing me out in my city tonight I will never forget this its #MoolahSeason 🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥 #younggreatness #MoolahSeason #neworleans #easterjam #moolah #QCTHALABEL
30 of 64
31. Just be doin me! Don't really care what everybody else doin! 📷 @nickbrazinsky
31 of 64
32. "They Screaming Moolah When I Walk In The Building The Young Boi Make A Killing" Recap Of Diamond Awards It's #moolahseason 📷 @niqko 🏆 #younggreatness #moolahseason #jacksonville #florida #diamondawards #breakthroughartistoftheyear #moolah #QCTHALABEL
32 of 64
33. Hand stand on Rotterdam 🤘🏽😆🤘🏽
33 of 64
34. Anytime U Pay Your Money U Deserve Da BEST!!!! #BiloxiMS #Plies #AintNoMixtapeBih2 (Link In Bio) #RanOffOnDaPlugTwice #RanOffOnDaPlugTwiceTour #RitzCarlton🔥
34 of 64
35. You really don't wanna see these two clocked In the studio. Real issues.King Slum
35 of 64
36. Much love to @979thebeat! Had Fun today at the Grambling Vs. PV game! #BeatUpTheBlock
36 of 64
37. Sold Out Show at Mississippi State after they just beat Auburn! Number 1 Team in the Country Now! They went up All night! #BeatUpTheBlock #MississippiStateUniversity
37 of 64
38. Dallas! 2night meant ALOT 2 Me! The Love was Phenomenal! I appreciate every bit of it! #BeatUpTheBlock #TexasRapfest Photo by @QuickMixx!!!
38 of 64
39. Show Season! Booking in Bio! #TexaFornia! @HazeMusicGroup
39 of 64
40. It's these Moments that makes it all worth it!
40 of 64
41. Last Nite
41 of 64
42 of 64
43. Ask @KennyBurns about Japanese
43 of 64
44. Reppin the 3rd coast on the West coast wit @urbanstashspotclothing x @satellitesupply #HoustonOiler
55. Cookin in the studio today 💯 finna get this music out there for y'all 🙌 stay tuned 🙏
55 of 64
56. Cookin in the studio today 💯 finna get this music out there for y'all 🙌 stay tuned 🙏
56 of 64
57. Me and Aunt Viv on the same thing today 😭😂 #MerryBRUHMas #MERRYCHRISTMAS
57 of 64
58. Me and Aunt Viv on the same thing today 😭😂 #MerryBRUHMas #MERRYCHRISTMAS
58 of 64
59. Down w whateva.
59 of 64
60. Told my lady look at me everyday like the girl n the 2nd row look at me.. 😬King Slum
60 of 64
61. One of those feelings you can't explain. I love my fans & supporters. If you fxck w my campaign comment. "King Slum"
61 of 64
62. Da Face U Make When She Show U Dat Lil Pwussy Got Some Power..... #Plies #AintNoMixtapeBih2 (Link In Bio) #RanOffOnDaPlugTwice #RanOffOnDaPlugTwiceTour #RitzCarlton🔥
62 of 64
63. I Stay In My Own Lane..... S/O 2 Everybody Over @ XXL Magazine.... #Plies #AintNoMixtapeBih2 (Link In Bio) #RanOffOnDaPlugTwice #RanOffOnDaPlugTwiceTour #RitzCarlton🔥
63 of 64
64. I Owe This 1 🏆 To All of Y'all , As Of Today #LateNightsTheAlbum Is RIAA Certified Gold. Even Through The NYE Ball Drop ,Three Months Later.. It Was All Worth It. Thanx To Every Producer/Writer/Artist/Engineer That Helped Me Create This. To Mih Fans I Truly Love & Appreciate Each And Every 1 Of You , I Gotchu! 500,000,000 Streams?? True Testament That Without Y'all I'm Really Nothin ' 🔑 #BlessUpPlaqueUp #GoldMember #LateNights < #LaterThatNight 🌚♋️
64 of 64
Continue reading Nas is teaming up with ESPN for the NFL Draft!
Our Favorite Performance Shots from the Dub Car Show & Concert 2016 Artist Line Up